so there i was.. exploring a tuna festival (まぐろの祭り) in the wakayama prefecture (和歌山県). hanging out with friends new and old. chowing down on some fresh tuna. damn, my taste buds were in heaven. if, of course, such an imaginary place could actually exist. we were fighting frigid winds. walking from booth to booth. enjoying as many free samples our stomachs could handle at 9:30 in the AM.

when all of a sudden.. out of the corner of my eye i see a vendor selling something different. getting closer, i notice the sign says kujira (くじら) instead of maguro (まぐろ). fucking whale meat! im so in! next thing i know, ive got a piece of fresh whale sashimi (鯨さしみ) in my hand. after posing for a quick pic to remember the moment forever, that thing goes straight in to my mouth. fishy, yes. controversial, yep. slightly chewy, uh huh. delicious, oh yeah! it actually tasted a bit like tuna if my memory serves me well.
eating whale (鯨肉) for the first time
so there i was: kujira sensei (鯨先生), the whale teacher, eating a raw piece if kujira niku (鯨肉), whale meat. as stupid as it may sound, the whole time i chewed that beast i thought to myself that this was the closest ill ever get to cannibalism. and oh yes; there were high fives involved to celebrate.

Comments (0)