today was my first birthday spent in japan. and it went by just like any other day here. i woke up at 6am and fought the spiders and mosquitoes all the way to my outdoor shower. after sort-of waking up and cleaning up, i drank some coffee and prepared for today's lessons. i taught four classes at two elementary schools today. first graders are pretty rad; sixth graders are lame.

but heres where the story gets good. after work i threw a huge party at my house and invited all of the english-speakers in my town to come celebrate. any boy, today must have been my lucky day; every single english-speaker in my entire town showed up to party with me! oh, what a fun time we all had hanging out with me. to remember the awesome time we had together, we all squished together and took this group photo:

my 29th birthday spent with all the english-speakers in my town. note: all attendants are pictured here.

being the gracious host that i am, i even promised all my guests a piece of chocolate cake. fortunately for my pocket book, that meant i only had to buy one piece of cake. hooray! we struggled a bit trying to fit all twenty-nine candles on that tiny sliver of a cake. im pretty sure we came close to burning down the house when we lit the candles. we had just enough time to snap one picture of the cake before it melted in a blaze of lonely-old-man-confused-as-to-what-the-hell-he's-doing-with-his-life glory:

twenty-nine candles ablaze on top of a cake that was definitely enough to feed the entire party
but sarcasm aside, times like these remind me all the amazing friends of made in all of my previous lives. rest assured that if you are one of the people actually reading this blog then you are in fact one of the peeps that is sorely missed.

Comments (9)

On October 18, 2010 at 11:41 PM , mkb said...

Aw :(

Happy birthday!

 
On October 18, 2010 at 11:57 PM , Jaclyn said...

Happy Birthday Nick! Loved your blog entry, you really had me going there for a minute. :) Must be too early in the morning for me still. I can't believe you actually used 29 candles. I wasn't that brave.

 
On October 19, 2010 at 12:35 AM , Japanese Masshole said...

Happy birthday!

 
On October 19, 2010 at 12:36 AM , nick whalen said...

thanks guys!

 
On October 19, 2010 at 6:59 AM , Karen said...

Aw....
If I wasn't a 4 hour train ride away I would have come! You'll just have to come up to the big city again sometime and we'll do something.

 
On October 19, 2010 at 6:30 PM , Anonymous said...

aw dude! just think about what you're experiencing. Just means you need to accelerate your Japanese and meet some village people, village people who can cook you an amazing meal and bake you a cake!

 
On October 19, 2010 at 9:03 PM , nick whalen said...

i vote that you, mr towers, bake me a cake instead

 
On October 19, 2010 at 9:04 PM , Jaime said...

I'm only a 4 hour train ride (or alternatively a phone call) away!

We'll hang out again soon. Nara trip is in the works.

 
On October 19, 2010 at 9:54 PM , Heidi said...

You're not as old as I am! Hahahahahahaha!

But you have more cake than me. Grrr.

Still heading up to Iga this weekend?