tonight i decided to christen my kitchen by trying to make octopus okonomiyaki (たこお好み焼き). okonomiyaki is like a cross between a pancake, an omelet, and a pizza. it originated from the kansai region (関西地方), which is where i live now.
my octopus okonomiyaki (たこお好み焼き) is now ready for nommage

i started making the batter first. there are close to infinite number of possible ingredients that one could put in the batter. i chose to throw in some cabbage, bean sprouts, and mushrooms. next, i fried up some slices of octopus tentacle. i then poured the batter on top of the octopus in the shape of a pancake. when it was done cooking, i drizzled mayonnaise (japanese people LOVE mayonnais!!), okonomiyaki sauce, and bonito flakes (dried fish flakes) on top.

i dont mean to toot my own horn or anything, but my okonomiyaki came out perfect! it was so freaking good i had to go back to the kitchen and make another. if anyone wants the recipe, id be happy to share. 
chop up your favorite cephalopod mollusc. i chose a tasty octopus (たこ)
fry that mother up
pour the "batter" on top. my "batter" had egg, flour, cabbage, bean sprouts, and mushrooms in it
flip it when it turns golden
the chef
almost ready to nom
decorate with mayonnaise (マヨネーズ), okonomiyaki sauce (お好み焼きソース), and bonito flakes (dried fish flakes)
nomming

Comments (7)

On August 13, 2010 at 11:08 PM , mkb said...

What are the proportions of the batter ingredients? I tried to okonomiyaki once and it came out terrible

 
On August 13, 2010 at 11:14 PM , nick whalen said...

the recipe i have calls for dashi (fish broth), but i used water instead and it still came out wicked good. with 1 egg, a little more than 1 cup flour, and 3/4 cup water, i was able to make about one and a half okonomiyakis.

 
On August 13, 2010 at 11:40 PM , Captain Awesome said...

I have to try this myself. I'm not exactly a whiz in the kitchen at the best of times, but this looks delicious.

Oh, and this is Greg, by the way!

 
On August 14, 2010 at 1:04 AM , Claire White said...

holy crap I want one!

 
On August 14, 2010 at 1:04 PM , Anonymous said...

This meal pretty much consists of everything I hate. But as long as you liked it, that's all that matters. -Karin (I don't know how to show who I am other than "-Karin.")

 
On August 14, 2010 at 1:09 PM , nick whalen said...

@karin but to be fair, you do hate a lot of things..

 
On August 16, 2010 at 8:54 PM , Anonymous said...

What you've done is a great improvement on my usual recipe for okonomiyaki, which is:
1. cycle to greasy, hole-in-the-wall restaurant
2. fumble through my Japanese to place an order
3. wait
4. devour
5. feel happily bilious.
However, the tasty visage your preparation presents might tempt me to make it by myself!